Yes, no one has the time to open their well-done braid twice a week to cleanse their oily scalp. Especially when you paid a lot of money for it. So, See how to Push back your wash day for your braids and twists to almost 2- 3 weeks by using safe and effective Dry Shampoos.
Can I Use Dry Shampoo On Braids
Dry shampoo can be used on braids as it can push back your wash day, because of its ability to absorb moisture and excessive oil from your scalp and between your twists.
Especially, if you perspire a lot on your scalp, this will help you control and deal with the oiliness and greasiness of your scalp and its hygiene.
How Often Can You Use Dry Shampoo On Braided Hair
You can use Dry Shampoo 1 – 2 times per week on braided hair. It also depends on when you really need it, as many of us carry out very eventful days, (Sports, Gym, and even extremely hot temperatures/ Climate)
When it comes to how long you will be wearing your braid, it’s wise to avoid using too much dry shampoo, as this will eventually cause build-up which is unhealthy for the scalp and damaging for follicles.
Can I Use Dry Shampoo On Synthetic Braids
Short answer, YES you can use dry shampoo on Synthetic Braids, It works just as fine as it does on actual real hair. However, stay away from heat as Synthetic hairs are known for being flammable.
Can You Use Dry Shampoo On Knotless Braids
Dry shampoo can be used on any type of braiding style, especially Knotless Braids. Using dry shampoo adequately can let you wear your braids longer, as it helps in pushing back your washday.
Always invest in safe Shampoo and Conditioner for proper cleansing and healthy nourishment- Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate – What You Need To Know
How To Use Dry Shampoo On Braids
- Blot your scalp if they are extremely oily, this will help remove some of the oil and greasiness from the skin.
- Always shake your dry shampoo well before using it, as you will have a better experience
- Hold the Dry Shampoo a few inches (6 Inches) from your scalp and spray evenly between your braids and your twists, ensuring to get between sections. This will help in even distribution and avoid product pileups
- Gently massage the dry shampoo between your braids on the exposed scalp.
- Use a damp wash cloth and wipe any residue left back, you can now do your final check making sure you got everywhere
- After a while, you can then go in with sunscreen on your scalp if needed.
- And then you can go in with your setting lotion for your braids and twist if needed.
Video Showing How To Dry Shampoo Braids/ Twist
Best Dry Shampoo For Braids
For many of us, our hair is basically an expense by itself, hence we try to take maximum care of it. Especially when it comes to certain styles like braids and twist, which tends to be very costly.
Our recommendations are not based on what’s trending or just for effectiveness but, are also influenced by ingredients and the ability to maintain healthy scalps and hair.
These are the best dry shampoo to use for braids:
- Beauty by Earth Dry Shampoo Powder – All Natural & Organic Formula
- R+Co Dry Shampoo Mist – Hydrating & Moisturizing to Hair
- Bumble and Bumble Dry Shampoo Mist – Perfect to use Post Workout
- Hair Dance Dry Shampoo Powder – Ideal for Afro & Textured Hair
- Act+Acre Dry Shampoo Spray – Gentle on Chemically Damaged & Fragile Hair
1 – Beauty by Earth Dry Shampoo
Beauty by Earth is a brand well-known for its organic ingredients. Especially when it comes to their Dry Shampoo. The Organic Dry Shampoo is in a Powder form with options for both light and dark-colored hair.
This volumizing powder will effectively give you freshly, oil-free Scalp, braids, and even twists, it is safe enough for your hair’s health seeing that it is aerosol-free
There are many other amazing powder shampoos out there you can choose from. But if you are interested in this one, then Click here the Price for Beauty by Earth Dry Shampoo on Amazon
2 – R+Co Dry Shampoo Mist
The R+Co Spiritualized Mist is a Dry Shampoo that comes in a liquid form. Its main ingredients are Glycerin, Silica, and Castor Oil, which together help your hair to retain certain moisture and hydration while getting rid of the oiliness and greasiness.
3 – Bumble & Bumble Dry Shampoo
Imagine having to wash your braids after every workout because of how oils and greasy your braids and twists have become. Well, Bumble and Bumble got you with their Dry Shampoo for Post Workout. This is a powdered- liquid mist that gives you clean light and fresh feeling hair once applied you can click here to see its price on Amazon.
And if you like me you’ll love the liquid form. Liquid form then Click here to see its price on Amazon
4 – Hair Dance Dry Shampoo
This Dry Shampoo Powder by Hair Dance works amazingly well for afro hair basically hair of texture. It Effectively reduces oiliness and greasiness whilst adding volume and silkiness to your hair/ twists. This is a perfect solution for wearing your braids longer.
Hair Dance volumizing Dry Shampoo is usually available at local shops. Or to Save you Time, Click here to see its Price on Amazon.
5 – Act+Acre Plant-Based Dry Shampoo
Act+Acre Dry Shampoo is a plant-based formulated dry shampoo spray that was designed for chemically damaged hair.
Act+ Acre Dry Shampoo Contains Fulvic Acid (helps to promote protein synthesis, cellular oxygenation, and more) which are all good benefits for healthy hair/ scalp and even hair regeneration.
Visit their website for detailed information on their ingredients OR, Click here to see this Dry shampoo on Amazon
Other Dry Shampoo Articles
Side Effects And Risks Of Dry Shampoo On Black Hair
Dry shampoos are generally safe once used adequately and free from harmful ingredients. But, it is not, it could result in side effects like:
- Adverse and Allergic Reactions to certain ingredients may cause irritation, hair fall, or a burning sensation.
- Buildup leading to bad odor occurs when you go weeks without cleansing your scalp and hair of dry shampoo.
- Poor Scalp Hygiene is bound to happen due to buildups being there for very long periods.
- Bacterial and fungal infection causes scalp acne, pimples, hair fall, and even folliculitis, Seeing that buildups help to create their breeding ground.
What Can I Use On Braids If I Don’t Have Dry Shampoo
Don’t have Dry Shampoo, because you Unexpectially ran out of it or you just looking for other alternatives. Well, see below for safe and effective options.
Cornstarch- Apply a bit of cornstarch with a fluffy brush between your hair and scalp and then massage, it’s odorless, safe, and effective.
Baby Powders were used to deal with oily and greasy scalps even before dry shampoo became popular, this is because is safe for occasional use and effectively absorbs excessive oil.
Translucent Setting Powder is another great alternative for dry shampoo, due to its ability to absorb oil.
Blotting papers are very convenient due to their small sizes and will absorb all greasiness and oil from your scalp.
DIY Dry Shampoo For Braids
As much as the list above is effective you can still try making your own Dry Shampoo right at home, with safe and organic ingredients. See video.
How To Get Rid Of Dry Shampoo Buildup From Braids
Overly using dry shampoo, or using while going weeks without washing your hair can lead to buildup on the scalp, between braids, and even your twists. With this happening, regular shampoo sometimes doesn’t do a good enough job. To get rid of dry shampoo buildup you can:
- Use Clarifying Shampoos, these shampoos were specifically formulated to get rid of stubborn buildups from the scalp and in between braids and twists.
- Exfoliants give you a scrubbing effect while their activated ingredients help break loose the buildups from between braids.
- Using a Scalp Massager you make have to let your braids loose, so it can effectively cleanse your scalp.
- Apple Cider Vinegar is a perfect at-home rinse for your braids and twist, as it gets in between and cleans thoroughly.
- Lemon Juice Rinse is perfect for pregnant women as the smell can be calming rather than obnoxious.