It is already very tiring to keep up with normal hygiene during pregnancy and even breastfeeding. Especially when it comes to washing your hair, it really does take a lot out of us. And we would normally resort to dry shampoo, which helps the process so much.
But during this time we ought to be extra careful with what we use and even our surroundings. As our body has now become very sensitive and can easily attract the littlest of reactions.
So that is why we have put together a quick guide on what you need to know before using any dry shampoo when pregnant or breastfeeding;
- How Dry Shampoo may affect you and your baby
- Long-term risks to the scalp after pregnancy
- What to avoid in these shampoos
- How to correctly use them When Pregnant.
Is Dry Shampoo Safe During Pregnancy
Using dry shampoo during pregnancy is relatively safe, for both the mom and her unborn. But, it’s only safe as long as it is used moderately. Contains organic and natural ingredients, with no harmful chemicals, and preservatives. And most of all it does not come from an aerosol container.
However, before using any dry shampoo during pregnancy kindly consult with your doctor about your health and the product you are wanting to use.
Related Article: Is Dry shampoo proven BAD for your LUNGS?– Click here to find out
Is Dry Shampoo Safe While Breastfeeding
When it comes to using dry shampoo whilst breastfeeding you are to be extra careful when around your infant. Exposing your child to these chemicals at an early age can be very dangerous.
What happens is that when used, you are carrying a lot of chemicals, harmful ingredients, and harsh preservatives which can all be very carcinogenic to one’s health. Citation
And see that during breastfeeding your child’s head is almost right up to your hair. So when breathing in your baby will be inhaling these harmful chemicals like; Talc, hydrous magnesium silicate ( which contain asbestos fibers), and other harmful ingredients that can lead to respiratory toxicity and even cancerous risk.
Risk Of Using Dry Shampoo When Pregnant
There are a few risks you should take into consideration when using dry shampoo whilst pregnant or even breastfeeding. If the Dry Shampoo used are; being overused, contains harmful ingredients, from aerosol containers then they may lead to:
- Excessive dryness to scalp/ hair, clogg pores, and causes hair breakage.
- Cause rashes on scalp.
- May cause or increase inflammation
- Increases hormone production during pregnancy also means more hair growth.
- Increased oil or sebum production, this Extra sebum will block hair follicles, causing tender acne-like bumps.
- Lead to developing folliculitis due to clogged pores.
- Lower-quality dry shampoos may also have damaging ingredients or ingredients that can compromise the overall health of your hair follicles and yourself when breathing- in.
- Could lead to a panic after the pregnancy, resulting in shedding after pregnancy.
- Could be dangerous during pregnancy if you are asthmatic.
- The high hormone levels present can create an elevated level of sensitivity which is likely to cause adverse reactions like (nauseous, redness on the skin, and skin irritations.
- Damaging to fetus development if exposed to infectious agents and toxic substances (as many dry shampoos have been recalled).
- Risk hormonal-disruption due to chemicals like (parabens, phthalates, bisphenol, and toxic metals)
- Overall, levels of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone were lower among women who reported using hair products like dry shampoos, versus nonusers. Citation
Do you think Dry Shampoo is better than washing your hair? Click here to see the Truth when it’s Overused.
Can Dry Shampoo Cause Miscarriage
Dry shampoo does contain chemicals that may or may not cause harm to your body. As harsh as these ingredients may sound (when overused) they are many more times harsher when used during pregnancy.
However, dry shampoo has never been proven to cause miscarriages. But it is advised by the experts to stay away from untested chemicals during pregnancy.
Dry Shampoo To Avoid When Pregnant/ Breastfeeding
Dry shampoos to avoid when pregnant/ breastfeeding are strictly the ones in aerosol bottles. As many of these aerosol dry shampoos have been recalled by P&G. There are also other harmful ingredients and chemicals you should be cautious with like:
- LPG’s (Liquid Petroleum Gas) Butane, Propane & Isobutane
- Cetrimonium Chloride
- Alcohol- most dry shampoo carry alcohol its best to select one with low alcohol content
- Siloxane, Silicones & Octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane
- Laminaria saccharina
How To Use Dry Shampoo During Pregnancy
Other Dry Shampoo Articles
Safe Dry Shampoo When Pregnant/ Breastfeeding
When choosing a safe shampoo look for one with very minimum ingredients and little to no harmful chemicals as mentioned above. You should resort to shampoos that are in foam or powdered form, which are usually the best.
1- Hair Dance Dry Shampoo
What makes Hair Dance Dry Shampoo Powder safe during pregnancy? Well, It contains NO talc, parabens, baking soda, or phthalates, it’s also all- Natural, Vegan, Cruelty-Free, and Non-aerosol.
It has a soothing Lavender Scent which is known to be very Calming for women during pregnancy. Click here to see the Price of it on Amazon.
2- Handmade Heroes Dry Shampoo
Why is Handmade Heroes Dry Shampoo Safe during pregnancy/ Breastfeeding? It is Silicone Free and carries a very calming scent. Works great for persons with curly and color-treated hair.
This Dry Shampoo comes in two shades for both light and brunette hair. You can pick this up from any local store or Click here to see the price of it on Amazon.
Are you aware of the Dry Shampoo Hack: Click here to see how most people are using it now.
Is Dove Dry Shampoo Safe During Pregnancy
Pregnant and thinking about using Dove Dry Shampoo, but wondering if it’s that safe. Well, We can consider Dove shampoo relatively safe because it is Mineral Oil Free, Phthalates Free, Sulfate Free, Paraben Free, and Formaldehyde Free.
As we mention before once Dry shampoos are used moderately, are aerosol-free and contain safe ingredients it’s considered safe during pregnancy. However I would Recommendation this Dry Shampoo Powder Spray by R+Co as I would consider much safer. Click the link to see more on Amazon.
DIY Safer Alternatives
DIY kinda girl? well, we have put together some safe and effective DIY Dry Shampoo you can use when Pregnant or breastfeeding. With all-natural and organic ingredients you are sure about.