Dry shampoo really did come a long way, from where it all began. Which is by just using organic powder comprised of just a few ingredients (mainly corn starch).
It grew and gives us more variety of different textures. Apart from being a powder, there are now foam, aerosol, and dry shampoo oils. Even the application methods were even experimented with. From normal application to applying it from a certain angle, before bed, and the one we are here for today Application on Wet Hair.
Can You Use Dry Shampoo On Wet Hair
After comprehensively testing the effects of dry shampoo on wet hair. It is not recommended to use dry shampoo on wet hair. Since it can lead to severe and long-term damages.
As you may already know our hair is at its weakest when it’s wet. And knowing dry shampoo does leave a fair amount of damage even on oily hair(in a stronger state), just imagine what it could do if applied to wet hair(in a weak state).
You could be correct if you think using dry shampoo on wet hair would help in any drying process. But just know it would be at the cost of damaging your hair strands and follicles, faster compared to use on dry oily/greasy hair.
Can Dry Shampoo Be Used Directly After Washing Hair
After washing our hair. Remember we are literally washing away all the natural oils from our strands. Do you think it would be wise to add more drying effects to our hair? Of course not, it would lead to damages. And this is why you should not use dry shampoo directly after washing your hair. Citation
But what really happens when you apply dry shampoo over washed hair that has been stripped of its natural oil?
Click here to see Effective Ways How to Get Dry Shampoo Out of Hair
Effects Of Using Dry Shampoo On Wet Hair
Well adding a more drying effect on your hair may have immediate and can, later on, cause issues. You may notice damages like:
- Your hair will become Dry and Frizzy
- Texture and shine will eventually start to fade.
- Due to the lack of moisture, it will eventually become Dull and lifeless.
- Split ends and Hair breakage are all results of hair not having enough moisture and water content to keep it intact, resulting in damages.
- Regularly applying dry shampoo on wet hair will, later on, lead to hair Falling out.
- Hair may become weaker and thinner over continuous using this way.
But what about the scalp is it at least safe to use there?
Click the Link to learn – Can You Use Dry Shampoo When Pregnant / Breastfeeding
Can You Use Dry Shampoo On Wet Scalp
Dry shampoos were never really meant to be applied directly to our scalp. As it could lead to bigger problems. More so, we advise you not to use Dry shampoo on your wet scalp as it could lead to damage faster than if applied to an oily scalp. Citation
What Happens When You Use Dry Shampoo On Wet Scalp
So remember dry shampoo on our wet hair could have a very drying effect. Now using alcohol and other active ingredients on the scalp may lead to:
- Dandruff and flaking of the scalp due to the drying out of moisture.
- Having a dried scalp is a weak ground for healthy follicles.
- May cause itchiness and irritation
- Clog pores on the scalp
- Can even lead to scalp acne
- May lead to folliculitis
Does Dry Shampoo Cause Split-Ends If used On Wet Hair
Dry shampoo on hair is one of the main reasons for split ends. When the length of our hair is not properly moisturized but rather dried out and exposed to chemicals from dry shampoo on a continuous basis. Your end will eventually break and split in between.
How To Use Dry Shampoo On Wet Hair
We still stand by not using dry shampoo on wet hair and scalp, but if it’s on a far-off basis or one of importance and urgency, here is how you may apply it.
After washing hair
- Pat your hair until it is about 80%-90% dry (you may use a blow dryer if preferred). Leaving your hair in a damp state.
- Apply your leave in conditions– this will help return moisture to your strands after it’s washed.
- You may use just a bit of light weighted hair oil or scalp serum if any and apply it over.
- Then go in with your organic Dry shampoo and correctly apply it throughout your hair.
- Gently rub it in between your hair and on your scalp.
Going according to these steps will keep your scalp and hair healthy, while you are able to wear the full volume look. Make sure to avoid constantly using this method, as overuse can be damaging.
Click here to see which dry shampoo to avoid- Is Dry Shampoo Bad For Your Lungs & Health- Actual Truth
Which Dry Shampoo Is Best For Wet Hair
To choose a dry shampoo that is better for damp hair we would recommend using one with the qualities listed below:
- Very few ingredients
- Organic ingredients
- Not allergenic
- Not comedogenic
- Avoid LPG meaning to stay clear of aerosol containers
- Avoid dry shampoo on the recall list
- Go for one of a powder, oil, or foam texture
You can find safe Dry shampoo anywhere or even make them right at home Or see below for recommendations.
ACURE Dry Shampoo is Formaldehyde Free, Paraben Free, and Sulfate Free which is better for damp hair when compared to other dry shampoos. You can get either for Dry hair type or for Oily hair. Click here to see the price of them on Amazon.
OR Click here to see other safe organic Recommendations
DIY Dry Shampoo For Wet Hair
Pros Of Using Dry Shampoo On Wet Hair
Dry shampoo’s main job is to reduce oiliness, so although to may not be much benefits around it, we still have a few listed below:
- When your hair finally becomes dry you will be blessed with amazing volume.
- It could be used instead of mousse.
- It creates fuller-looking hair, perfect for persons to hair thinning hair.
- It clogs the pores on your scalp, meaning fewer releases of natural oil, enabling you to go more days without expecting an oily and greasy scalp.
Can I use dry shampoo Instead of Mousse
Mousse is great for providing hold and adds definition to strands, it protects and tames our hair and unruly curls. It is also known for giving Volume to flat and thin hair. You could use dry shampoo instead of mousse in rare cases like if you run out of mousse but not to treat it as a replacement.
Other Dry Shampoo Articles