Painless Waxing-Use Numbing Cream, Spray & DIY Remedies
Yes, we know completely removing hairs with their follicles from the skin can be very painful especially when it comes to areas that are extra sensitive.
That’s why many of us, play it smart and turn to numbing creams as the better option. Here we are going to carry you step-by-step on how to numb the area before your hair removal session.
Do Numbing Cream & Spray Work for Waxing
Skin-Numbing creams and sprays are widely used by beauticians, So Yes, numbing creams and sprays will effectively numb your skin to make waxing painless.
And, because of their active ingredient like anesthetic agents (lidocaine, benzocaine, pramoxine, dibucaine, and tetracaine), are what makes them so effective.
Are Numbing Creams & Spray Safe before Waxing
Numbing creams and sprays are relatively safe to use before waxing or other hair removal methods. once used correctly it will effectively give you a painless wax. However, do ensure to have a patch test done 24 hours prior.
How to Numb Skin Before Waxing
Before heading into this process, kindly ensure that you took a patch test 24 hours prior. As this will help identify if the numbing cream is safe for you.
1 – Cleanse Area
Working with a clean base is important. Because removing dirt and oils from the area will make the cream more effective. (You may wash the area or use an alcohol-free cleanser or wipes).
2 – Dry Area
Pat the area dry so that the cream has direct contact with your skin.
3 – Put on a pair of gloves
Use Latex gloves as they block out water and moisture, which will ensure the numbing cream does not cause your hands and fingertips to go numb as well.
4 – Apply the Cream/ spray to the skin
Gently squeeze a bit of numbing cream from the tube and spread it around the area ensuring the entire area to be waxed is covered. OR
If you are using a spray, just carefully spray the area with 2-3 coats. Depending on the amount released from the container per coat.
5 – Let it sit
- They usually come with recommended timings. But, If not, then you can have it sit for 15 – 25 minutes. For a more effective result place a piece of cling foil over the creamed area.
- Most Products will require you not to rub the cream into the skin. whereas, other companies allow it. Always Make Sure to Read the Instructions That Comes With Your Product.
6 – Remove cream
After feeling numbed take a dry clean cloth and gently wipe off the excess cream from the area.
You may now go in with your hair removal session.
Are you normally Itchy After Waxing? Well, click here to see what you’re doing wrong and how to fix it.
How Long Do You Leave Numbing Cream On For
Numbing creams and sprays can be left on the skin for about 15-25 minutes before effectively numbing your skin.
However, due to different branding and ingredients, some may take longer to take effect whilst some very soon after you apply it. This is why is it very important to read the instruction any cream or spray comes with.
Best Numbing cream & Spray for Waxing
Below are safe numbing creams and sprays that are gentle and effective on the skin. see which one is best for your skin type;
- Ebanel Lidocaine Numbing Cream – Oily Skin & Sensitive Skin
- Zensa Numbing Cream – Extra Sensitive Skin.
- Relax and Wax- No Scream – Bikini Areas
- Ebanel 5% Lidocaine Numbing Spray – Easier To Apply
- Uber Numb Numbing Spray – Reduce Inflammation
1 – Ebanel Lidocaine Numbing Cream
This numbing cream is perfect for facial wax which can be used for any other part of the body, especially if you have oily skin or sensitive skin. It does last for 1 hour, which is just enough time to complete any waxing session. It works best because:
- It is oil-free making it perfect so that the wax can grip the hair without easily sliding off when ripped off.
- It can also be applied to tiny wounds caused by the wax, to numb out the pain.
- It soothes and hydrates the skin, and hydrated skin is what is needed before waxing.
- It is cruelty-free, Hypoallergenic, and contains no harsh chemicals.
You can pick this up right from Amazon. Click here to see the price of it.
2 – Zensa Numbing Cream
The Zensa Numbing cream takes full effect after 20-25 minutes. it is great for oily skin It is safe for the face, lips, and very sensitive areas making it the perfect choice for bikini areas
- It can provide numbing for 2-4 hours.
- Safe for bikini lines and even cosmetic procedures.
- It is hypoallergenic and cruelty-free.
The Zensa Numbing Creaming is right on Amazon, Click here to see its Price.
3 – Relax and Wax- No Scream
You Can also try the Relax and Wax- No Scream Bikini Numbing Cream before waxing. However, when using this cream:
- You need to apply a thick layer over the area to be waxed,
- Do not rub this product into your skin,
- Let it sits and absorbs into the skin for 5- 10 minutes
- Remove the excess before proceeding.
Get Painless for less Click here to see the price of the No Scream Cream available on Amazon.
Numbing Spray Before Waxing
1 – Ebanel 5% Lidocaine Numbing Spray
Using a spray can make the application process so much easier. The spray will numb the area for 1 hour, if more time is needed for the session, you can always reapply. The spray is great because:
- There is no traceback of bacteria to the entire content in the bottle.
- Helps with even distribution to the area.
- It can be reapplied between sessions or even after the waxing session.
- It is Cruelty-Free, CGMP Certified, Hypoallergenic, and with no harsh chemicals.
You can find this at your local pharmacy or Click here to see the price of it on Amazon.
2 – Uber Numb Numbing Spray
This doctor-formulated spray is water-based (oil-free) which is perfect for waxing. It can effectively last for a maximum of 2 hours, and the best part it is known to reduce inflammation.
Click here to see more about this Spray on Amazon.
Common Side Effects
Once correctly done according to instructions. Side effects should be minimal to non-existent. Now, with this said, it’s possible that you could experience:
- Changes in skin color where the numbing cream was applied
- Itching or a rash
- Mild burning
To ease this, run the area under cool water (don’t apply ice), then gently pat your skin dry.
Learn more on: Allergic & Histamine Reaction to Waxing -Treat & Prevent
Allergic Reaction to Numbing Creams
When getting your Patch Test done for both numbing creams and spray, you should keep a lookout for signs like:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and throat
You should seek medical attention especially If you are experiencing other adverse reactions like:
- Bruising, purple-blackish or red discoloration appearing on the skin
- Confusion, blurred vision, or ringing in the ears
- Severe burning, stinging, or irritation.
- Sudden dizziness or drowsiness
Use Too Much Numbing Cream/ Spray
What happens when you used too much product on one area? Well, that means too much of it would have been absorbed through your skin. And now you are now experiencing an overdosage. You may experience:
- Convulsions-uncontrollable muscle contractions
- Rapid heartbeat
- Respiratory failure
How To Store Numbing Cream/Spray
For its long life and safety of yourself, proper storage is important. We recommend storing your Numbing Cream/Spray at room temperature, away from heat and moisture. Away from children and always keep the tube tightly closed.
DIY Numbing Cream For Waxing
Yes, that’s right! you can numb your skin right at home, with just little ingredients found right in the comfort of your own home you can effectively numb your skin before waxing. See below for the safest methods: Citation
1 – Clove Paste To Numb Skin
Numbing skin with clove can effectively numb the area to be waxed long enough until the procedure is finished, for this you will need:
- Ground Clove
- Distill Water
- Clean Dry Container
Step-By-Step Instruction to make Clove Numbing Paste
2 – Ice For Numbing Skin
You can literally numb your skin just by using ice or an ice pack. Simply taking an ice cube/ice pack and gently pressing and massaging it onto your skin, will effectively numb that area.
However, Numbing with ice doesn’t last for very long, so you may have to be a bit quick with the waxing.
3 – Topical Pain Numbing Cream
See the video below on how to DIY Topical cream right at home.
Can You Use Lidocaine For Waxing
Lidocaine is an anesthetic commonly found in many Numbing Creams and Sprays. Lidocaine is relatively safe once used moderately. It is one of the main ingredients that causes loss of feeling in the skin and the surrounding tissues.
Do you know preparing your skin helps with the pain? Click here for the Pre-care beautician never mention.
You’re applying coconut oil to your hair wrong. Click here to see how it’s rightfully done, when oiling hair.