We all know one of the best and most effective ways of getting rid of underarm hair is by waxing. But it can potentially lead to adverse reactions to your armpits especially if proper aftercare are not carried out.
So here is a full guide on all the DOs and DONTs when it comes to waxing your armpits. Keep reading for all the tips and tricks for getting rid of unwanted after-effects.
Underarm Waxing Aftercare Steps
So you’re done waxing and wondering what are the next steps. Well, right after you rip the wax from your underarms:
- You immediately apply pressure by resting your hand over the area waxed. This will help to calm the trauma it just experienced.
- Make sure that you completely clean up the remaining hair that the wax may miss during the first take.
- Afterward, you will apply a Post Wax Lotion/ Oil. This will restore water content that was lost whilst waxing.
- Use gentle moisturizer before applying any oil. Restoring moisture to your underarm is important to help heal minor wounds.
- After a few hours you can oil the area, this will help in protecting against bacteria from seeping into the open pores, leading to pimples and underarm acne.
So above are the steps you should take for proper aftercare. Now let’s go into what to avoid after waxing your underarms.
What to Avoid After Waxing Underarms
After waxing we are expected to put a pause to a few things (activities/ products) to ensure the best for our underarms. These may include:
- Avoid hot showers, spas, tubs, and even public pools during the first few days. This could lead to contracting bacteria to the underarms area.
- Wait until 3-4 days after the waxing session to exfoliate the armpit. Exfoliating too soon can cause more damages to the existing minor bruises.
- Always use gentle exfoliants, as underarm skin is very sensitive. Abrasively scrubbing the area will lead to bruising.
- Avoid using deodorants until 2-3 days after waxing. You see waxing leaves our pores empty and open. Now by applying deodorant, you can cause irritation and even clogging of the pores.
- No tight clothing. You should switch to clothing that is loose around the arm areas. Allowing the skin to breathe is very important.
Make your Waxing experience PAINLESS. Click here -Painless Waxing-Use Numbing Cream, Spray & DIY Remedies
What To Apply After Waxing Underarms
- Clean Up Wax Residue– Post-Wax Treatment
- Dry Underarm- Hydrating Moisturizer
- Underarm Post-Hyperpigmentation– Calming Lotion/ Serum
- Calm The Trauma- Cold Compress
- Deodorant– None until 2-3 day after underarm wax
What Cleans Up Wax Residue
After waxing you may still have a little residue remaining on your skin. The best way to remove this is by using a post-wax treatment. This help in breaking down the wax/ sticky residue for easy removal.
Moisturizer for Dry UnderArm After Waxing
Experiencing Dryness after waxing your underarms? Well, waxing does strip you of your moisture and even water content. But using a light moisturizer can effectively restore what’s lost. When selecting a moisture look for:
- Water Based Moisturizer
- Contains Hylaruanic Acid
- Contains Ceramides
Get yourself a light water-based moisturizer from your nearest store OR Click here to see The Cetaphil Hydrating lotion, No Fragrance, Non-Comedogenic. For more info & benefits for skin click here on Amazon to read more.
What helps Underarm Wax Post-Hyperpigmentation
Waxing causes some trauma to your underarm, when this happens our skin responds by releasing an excessive amount of melanin. To fix this we need to apply a calming lotion to help the skin relax and return to its normal state.
The Clean + Easy Calm has all the necessary ingredients for a calming effect, relieving you of post-pigmentation, irritation, and even bumps. Click here to see more info on Amazon, or pick it up from your nearest shop.
Below are some frequently asked questions we often get. With hope, it benefits you too.
Can I Wash My Underarm After Waxing
After waxing your underarms, it is recommended to wait 24-48 hours before cleansing the area. Giving you enough time for your skin to stabilize. Always make sure to use a gentle and unscented wash/soap bar.
Can I Wet My Under Arm After Waxing
It is recommended to wait a few hours (preferably 4-5 hours) before wetting your arms. Even If it’s for the purpose of applying a cooling compress or even moisturizer. If it does get wet by accident, gently pat the area dry with a clean cloth/ tissue.
Can You Apply Deodorant After Waxing
After underarm waxing, you should wait until 1-2 days before using deodorants. So as to allow our underarms to heal and pores to shrink.
Applying it too early could increase irritation, itchiness, dryness, and even clog open pores.
Can I Put Oil After Waxing Underarms
Oiling the skin after waxing is very important, also as, using the right oils in the correct way for the best result. Oiling helps to lock in moisture and lock out bacteria and fungi. Especially if you are using oils with anti-bacterial properties.
Can I Apply Baby Oil After Underarm Waxing
Applying a thin layer of baby oil, after your rehydrate lotion/serum is a great way to lock in moisture. This ensures the underarms don’t go dry and become more irritated.
For the first few days, it’s advised to do this 1 – 2 hours before showering. As great as it is to lock in moisture, it could also lead to the clogging of pores and prevent the skin from breathing if left on for too long.