Struggle with oily Scalp and thinking about using Dry shampoos. Well, you can, these shampoos will most definitely reduce the excessive oil, which helps to add a bit of life to your hair.
However, you are to ensure you are using a SAFE dry shampoo and also correctly applying it to your hair. Refusing to do so may have side effects you don’t want to experience. keep reading to learn more.
Can I Use Dry Shampoo If My Hair Is Oily
Short answer YES, Dry Shampoos were formulated specifically to reduce oil and greasiness on our scalp and hair. It is so convenient that it helps us to push our washing a few days back.
Does Dry Shampoo Work On Oily/ Greasy Hair
Dry shampoo works effectively on greasy and oily hair as it helps to reduce oiliness. By correctly using Dry shampoo you will experience fresher, lighter, and even more volumized-looking hair.
How Often To Use Dry Shampoo On Oily Hair
Persons with oily hairy type should use Dry Shampoo 1-2 times per week Only. Using it too often may result in damage to both your hair and scalp. See more on Side-effects below.
How To Use Dry Shampoo on Oily Hair
- Brush through your hair so that you can distribute the oil from your scalp to the length of your hair.
- Always give your bottle a quick shake before using your dry shampoo.
- Hold your hair in sections and spray the dry shampoo from a distance (preferably about 6 inches away from the scalp) this help to evenly distribute it and any avoid pile-ups.
- Use your fingertips and gently Massage it into your scalp and between your hair. Ensuring full coverage.
- Give your hair a quick brush through, and check to see if more is needed for extra coverage.
So there you have it, oil-free, light, and volumized hair.
Video On How to Apply Dry Shampoo- Oily Hair
Best Dry Shampoo For Oily Hair
Best dry shampoos are those that are safe and yet effective for regular use. Mainly ones containing organic ingredients, no harmful chemicals and preservatives, and are non-aerosol, I would say fits those criteria.
However, Among the many dry shampoos on the market, not all of them can be considered safe and effective at the same time. Some of them are too effective that they can eventually be damaging to the hair and follicles.
When selecting your Dry Shampoo avoid aerosol cans, and harmful chemicals and most of all stay away from those on the recalled list. OR See below for two safe options:
1- The R+Co Dry Shampoo Mist – For Regular Use
The R+Co Spiritualized Dry Shampoo Mist is Aerosol- Free and comes in a liquid form. It contains Glycerin, Silica, and Castor Oil, which together help your hair to retain certain moisture and hydration while other active ingredients get rid of the oiliness and greasiness.
There are other good Dry Shampoos out there but do ensure they are safe enough by doing your research. OR See The R+Co Dry Shampoo Mist Click the link to see its price on Amazon.
These work for Hair of any color as it is a transparent liquid and not in powder form.
2- Act+Acre Dry Shampoo – For Thin & Oily Hair
Act+Acre Plant-Based Dry Shampoo is a well-formulated spray that was designed for Thin, damaged, and chemically treated hair. This Shampoo Contains Fulvic Acid which helps to promote protein synthesis and cellular oxygenation for healthy follicles and hair.
Its ingredients help to support Chemically damaged, weak and thinning strands. You May visit their Website to learn more about their products OR Click here to see the price of this Dry Shampoo on Amazon.
It also works for any hair type and color, seeing that it’s a transparent fast-drying liquid.
Other Dry Shampoo Articles
Side Effect Of Dry Shampoo On Oily Hair
Using safe dry shampoo adequately, as recommended followed by properly cleansing, you have nothing to worry about. Unless:
- You are using Dry Shampoo from Aerosol Can, which contains harmful ingredients that are considered carcinogenic (one being Benzene).
- Using Dry shampoos too often will dry the moisture from the scalp, leaving behind a scaly scalp, dandruff and fungi problems, and other unhealthy scalp-related issues.
- Split-ends, Dry, frizzy, and Brittle-looking hair strands, are all result of using too much dry shampoo, without properly caring and moisturizing for your hair strands.
- Scalp buildups harm follicles, deteriorate the scalp’s health and create a breeding ground for bacteria (Causing Scalp acne and infection).
- Folliculitis is a possibility due to buildup on the scalp as bacteria and fungi will infect your pores and feed on your follicles, resulting in hair loss. Depending on its stage, this infection tends to be irritating and hard to manage.
- Bad Odors as bacteria and dead cells increase, your scalp and hair will develop an odor that’s not pleasant to the public.
Dry Shampoo Alternatives For Oily Hair
Not a Dry Shampoo Fan? Well, there are many safe and effective alternatives out there like:
- Apply Cornstarch to your scalp and in between your hair using a fluffy brush, you then use your fingertips and massage it in for full coverage. Scorstarch is odorless, safe, and effective.
- Baby Powders are a great way to deal with oily and greasy scalps. This is safe for occasional use and effectively absorbs excessive oil.
- Translucent Setting Powder is another great alternative for dry shampoo, due to its ability to absorb oil.
- Blotting papers will absorb all greasiness and oil from your scalp they are very convenient due to their small sizes.
Natural Dry Shampoo for Oily Hair- DIY at Home
DIY your own Natural Dry Shampoo right at home is as natural and safe as it gets. So that’s why we have a video that provides a full step-by-step guide to Preparing your own natural dry shampoo at home.
Can Dry Shampoo Cause Oily Scalp
Dry shampoo will not lead to an oily scalp, it will most definitely reduce the oiliness and greasiness of scalps and hair. However, do not get carried away that Dry shampoo controls the oil released by your scalp’s sebum.